Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Review: [REC]

I have just seen, what might possibly have been, the scariest movie going experience of my life. I know that sounds bombastic, but as I sit here and type this my pulse is still fucking racing. I'm also having a hard time coming up with what to say here. So, maybe I'll start off with a little info session. Directed by Paco Plaza (Romasanta) and Jaume Balaguero (Darkness, Nameless) is a found footage film about a TV crew who are following a fire department as part of a show detailing people who work while the rest of us sleep. When they get a call about a woman trapped in her apartment and head into said apartment building, things begin to get weird. The woman in question is deranged and attacks a police officer. When they try to move the officer outside for medical attention, they find the building sealed due to a supposed health concern. You can see where this is going, and it may not sound like anything special, but trust me, it is.

This film mixes the maze-like claustrophobic feel of Demons 2, with the best parts of 28 Weeks Later, and a dash of character and true originality, to produce a horror film that made me shake, yell, cover my eyes, which I've almost never fucking done, and make me nearly hyperventilate. I was only able to watch this film on a burned DVD alone in my room, and not with an audience in a theater. I could only image the screaming that would accompany a public viewing of this film. This could easily make it onto my top ten horror films of all time list.

Now, while I clearly loved this film, I want to talk about why you've possibly never heard of it, and why you might not see it for years. Screen Gems has snatched up the rights to the film as well as the rights to remake it in English, make it seriously not scary, and call it Quarantine. Also, they were kind enough to give away the final shot of the original, in the trailer for their shitty looking remake. Because of this, they have effectively buried the original, in the hopes that no one will ever find out how shit their remake is going to be. Fuck you Screen Gems. I hope your fucking remake bombs. I'm pretty sure it'll get panned, but I hope the only people who go see it, are homeless people who've sneaked into the theater so they could take a shit in the corner. If you think my reaction is harsh. Just watch the respective trailers for each film posted below, and see if you disagree with me.

Trailer (Original)


Trailer (Remake)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you have to loan me this-pronto!!
Chuckwilson

Anonymous said...

I wanted to give the woman that played Angela a hug in the first third of the movie, a high five in the second third, and grab her away from the clutches of_____in the final reel. She was awesome. Hope this gets a decent DVD release someday.
Chuckwilson