Saturday, June 28, 2008

New Friday Feature: Capsule Reviews!

Finally, my computer is back online and (a week late) I can introduce the new weekly feature, capsule reviews! I'm doing this in the hopes of making it more fun to visit this place regularly, since it can often take me a while to write a full review. If any of you would like to contribute capsule reviews, just let me know!


The Cottage (2008)
Directed by
Paul Andrew Williams
Starring: Andy Serkis, Doug Bradley, Jennifer Ellison

The Cottage
is a fun and lighthearted British horror comedy in the vein of Severance. The film follows two brothers, one of whom is played by Andy Serkis, whose kidnapping plot goes all wrong when a deformed hillbilly shows up and the blood starts to fly. The comedy is a bit broad so the film does feel like it’s trying a bit too hard at times, and the slasher doesn’t show up till after the halfway mark. Still, there’s plenty of laughs and gore to be found here, as well as a few inventive plays on famous slasher movie caveats. Top that off with a cameo by Doug Bradley, and you have a solid horror comedy that should supply you with an hour and a half of good times. It’s definitely worth a watch.

Submitted by Noah Soudrette


Blood: The Last Vampire (2000)
Directed by Hiroyuki Kitakubo
Starring: Youki Kudoh, Saemi Nakamura, Joe Romersa

Blood: The Last Vampire
is apparently exceptional for being the first Production I.G. film to use all CGI animation. This is a good thing, because it certainly isn’t exceptional in any other department. While there are a few thrilling action moments, the plot is a generic vampire on vampire violence tale. Saya, our heroic vampire, dressed in a Japanese school girl outfit, boringly kills a few vampire-like monsters on a military base for forty minutes. By reading that last sentence, you’ve pretty much seen the movie. Oh and there’s a shitty attempt to tack on some kind of social commentary at the end. It’s dreck, but visually arresting dreck.

Submitted by Noah Soudrette


Dylan Moran: Monster (2004)
Directed by Michael Matheson
Starring Dylan Moran

Dylan Moran: Monster
, is a stand up special, filmed in Dublin, featuring the ultra hilarious verbal stylings of Dylan Moran of Black Books fame. If you’ve seen Black Books I can guarantee you will enjoy this performance. Dylan’s real life personality isn’t that far from Bernard Black, and his witticism and unique word combinations are truly unique. He spends most of his time pointing out the absurdities of trying to be something your not in life. This is basically what other comics do, but Dylan is simply funnier. This is a real classic comedy performance, in my book.

Submitted by Noah Soudrette


Uncle Buck (1989)
Directed by John Hughes
Starring: John Candy, Macaulay Culkin

I just watched Uncle Buck for like I don't know, probably the 20th time in my life, and let me tell you, this movie is just as good today as it was back in 1989. So now I'm thinking about how much I enjoy this movie, and how much I've enjoyed John Hughes' writing, producing, and directing over my life. As a Writer/Director/Producer he has put out 4 movies that are very important to me and my generation’s popular culture: The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, and finally the delightful Uncle Buck. To this day I want a giant breakfast birthday, but despite 19 years of birthdays since this movie came out, still no giant stack of pancakes for me.

Submitted by Jesse Stevens


Fantastic Four (2005)
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
Directed by Tim Story
Starring: Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis, Chris Evans

These two FF films are good stuff. I wouldn't go so far as to put them into my comic book movie top three, but they are a good time all around as far as I am concerned. Solid stories, overall interesting (or as interesting as the FF can be) characters, and just a good F/X time. Both these screen plays are written by the excellent Mark Frost, (co-creator of Twin Peaks as well as writer of several excellent books) so they don't let you down plot-wise. If you are looking for some films to warm you up for this summers comic book smack down, or maybe just some fun popcorn flicks, then look no further than the FF's at your local video establishment. Ironfury Commands It!

Submitted by Jesse Stevens

No comments: