Saturday, July 26, 2008

Capsule Reviews: The All Ironfury Edition


The Wire, The First Season

Yet another home run from HBO. I thought my love for police procedural dramas was at an all time low, until I took a chance on this. The entire season is a slow boil toward an explosion. Its set in Baltimore, MD which is nice. Its got that big city feeling, but one thats been on the way down from its heights for awhile. It also give equal screen to criminal and cop alike, showing them both as people not just cardboard cut-outs. The show has me hooked just like Bubbles the junky is hooked on the junk!



Manhunter
Directed by Michael Mann
Starring William Petersen, Brian Cox, Tom Noonan

I recently watched this film for the first time, and was not let down. I see why my editor in chief prefers this to the more widely known "Red Dragon" film. This one has more build up, particularly the extended cut I watched, something I prefer from my thrillers. Add Michael Mann's brilliant flair for visuals and pacing, and that 1980's flavor (gotta love to hate the fashions of the 80's); and you've got a fairly timeless thriller. Now if they would just release The Keep on DVD the Barron would be most please!

Editor's Note: Stay tuned during the next week for my massive magnum opus of a post on the awesomeness of Manhunter.



Charlie Wilson's War
Directed by Mike Nichols
Starring: Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Philip Seymour Hoffman


From writer Aaron Sorkin comes this fun abridged film adaptation of a much larger book. I found the acting to be well done, particularly by Philip Seymour Hoffman. Also Julia Roberts is only on screen like 4 short times in the whole film, so she was bareable for me. Its a film that I think most of America watched and thought "yes, see this film is ok with us imposing our way of life on other countries through covert wars". And then in the end, it slaps them in the face. Ending with the realization that this is ultimately how we as a Nation shot ourselves and the world in the foot by not spending some money on Afghanistan after the war was won. Oh and along the way snappy dialogue happens, cause thats how Sorkin rolls baby!


No comments: