Wednesday, February 13, 2008

For seven years I spoke with God... and he told me this movie sucks!

Do you like science fiction movies?

Do you like 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Do you like Event Horizon?

Would you like to see those two movies get drunk while at the Cannes Film Festival, have dirty sex in a public lavatory, and produce a love child?

If you answered yes to that last one, you'll probably love Sunshine. I however, do not. Don't get me wrong. I love 2001 and I even find Event Horizon somewhat entertaining in a Mouth of Madness-in-space kind of way. But what we get here, is an amalgam of sci-fi trappings and moments from other films, sewn together with a thread made out of Danny Boyle's pretentiousness. There's a super-powerful evil guy like Sam Neil in Event, a talking computer ala Hal 9000, some spacewalk scenes right out of Mission to Mars, and even an obvious reference to Dark Star. Oh, and don't forget the set of the big finale, which looks like it was leftover from a Cube sequel. Basically, this film is just like 28 Days Later, except much worse. We get to see mopey Cillian Murphy wandering from plot point to plot point stolen from other, better movies in the genre, only to be tied up with an ending that leaves the viewer feeling a bit underwhelmed.

Now, I will admit I'm being a bit hard on this movie (as well as 28 Days Later, even though it pales in comparison to its sequel). The first two acts of the film, while derivative, aren't bad at all, and are fairly entertaining. The film simply takes a wrong turn at Albuquerque come the third act and spirals slowly into shit. I found myself enjoying this movie, then slowly questioning what was happening. Then I got the feeling this wasn't going well, and by the end, was just bored and disappointed.

To make a long story short (too late), don't bother with this movie. Unless, of course, any of the above sounds fun to you.

Danny Boyle, your days are numbered.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He told me it sucked, too. As did you. You-- and He-- are absolutely correct. Spot-on reviewage of pretentious sewage, my friend...!

Anonymous said...

See I was right...you need to start all of your future reviews with the "do you like...?" Brilliant. Guess I don't need to rent this one.
Chuckwilson

Anonymous said...

I liked it a bit more than you did even though I agree with everything you said. It didnt hold a candle to my beloved "The Black Hole" which it reminded me of at times. I was particularly bothered when Cillian Murphy decided to confront the intruder without alerting his fellow crew members to his presence. Nice work genius.
Brad

Noah Soudrette said...

Well, I am being a little extra hard on it. It's not so bad up until the intruder bit.

Baron Ironfury said...

I have to agree with just about everything you said. I wish I didn't because of the 3 Danny Boyle movies I've seen, I thought 2 were very interesting and good (if not wholey unique). This one was on its way to being his interpretation of 2001 or Mission to Mars, but then he does the crazy survivor kills people thing. I would have found this movie more impressive if it was simply a portrait of a divers group of people dealing with a 7 year journey in space that may or may not end in either 7 more years back or them dead to save their planet. That would have been more interesting, break the space movie mold man. How about I see a movie set in space that DOESN'T have a crew member go nuts. Oh well, I'll always have the begining of the film. And I can always say that although "28 days later" isn't as good as "28 Weeks later", I couldn't have one without the other, so I'll still give it credit.

Anonymous said...

If you think the sequel to 28 Days Later is better than the original, than anything you have to say regarding movies is irrelevant.

Anonymous said...

You rube. You absolute fool. It kicks so much much ass.