Saturday, May 24, 2008

Cinematic Rich's David Lynch Double Feature

Editor's Note: Once in a blue moon, I like to get someone to write or comment about film, who usually doesn't have much to say. Why? Well, in reality, they usually have a lot of interesting things to say, they're simply a soft spoken person, or perhaps no one ever really asks them their detailed opinion in the first place. I mention this because I am friends with such a man, and occasionally I poke and prod and cajole him into putting his thoughts down on digital paper. I feel he has a sharp and true insight when it comes to film and I hope we'll have more comments from him that we can post in the future. Enjoy. - Annubis


Inland Empire

My first thought is that I am glad that this was not my first introduction to a David Lynch movie. Seeing a few before this one definitely prepped me for what was to come in this one as much as it could. I must say that in all of Lynch's movies I came away thinking about them for sometime after. They make you think about them in a haunting way. I want to try and make sense of it in a nice linear way. I am not sure Lynch has a clearly defined explanation for his movies generally. He has thoughts, images, feelings he projects and creates characters that are placed within this framework. Visually, he is like an abstract artist and wants the viewer the to put their own interpretation on his work. A few words that might describe this movie are... creepy, haunting, riveting, disturbing, I felt like I was being pulled into the character very close, to the point of uncomfortable, like being a fly on the wall and not able to look away. I wanted the dark corners and shadowy areas to be illuminated. I give as much credit to Laura Dern as I do to Lynch as the director, she is awesome. Her ability to play multiple characters in this one was noteworthy. Being a wife, actor, whore and shifting back and forth giving the viewer the challenge to figure out at times which one you are seeing. The lines were blurred many times. The scenes and images gave me the feeling that I was inside someones head seeing their thoughts, memories and nightmares. I felt like I went down the rabbit hole and entered the world of David Lynch... The Twilight Zone.



Lost Highway

Watched Lost Highway last night and as always was anxious to see what was in store for me. Well, David Lynch did what he does best and that is to allow you to absorb the content of his movie and apply your personal meaning upon it. Once again if you looking for linear plot lines and logical conclusions to a movie your not a Lynch fan because he gives you none of that. A viewers open mind and personal experiences I believe fills the gaps which can be huge to weave together very fragmented ideas into some general coherence. Love the characters he creates and who he picks to play them, this movie was no exception. They are what keeps your eyes glued to the screen, along with Lynch's unique shooting style and the sound tracks that give such mood and emotion to his work. I find myself continuing to watch thinking that surely things will come together and all make sense, then it ends and I realize that this is David Lynch and that is what you get. It never fails that I find myself thinking about his movies for sometime after and if nothing else, is satisfying. His choice to take a different path from most film makers is refreshing. Grade: B.

"Cinematic" Rich Corney

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christ on a crutch JZA. You call yourself an editor? Rich’s first posting was referring to Inland Empire, yet the title and picture are from Mulholland Drive! Granted, I would love to read his thoughts on that particular movie. Has he seen it?

Chuckwilson

Noah Soudrette said...

Yeah, I'm retarded. What can I say?

Noah Soudrette said...

He has seen Mulholland Drive, and I'd love to get his written thoughts on it.

Anonymous said...

I think you should have Rich start a martial arts movie review column for the blog called Corney's Kung Fu Corner.

Brad

Noah Soudrette said...

Funny you say that. I was going to call this Corney's Corner, but he REALLY hated that :)