Thursday, July 17, 2008

Capsule Reviews: 7/18/07

Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Directed by Guillermo Del Toro
Starring: Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, Selma Blair, Luke Goss

I had intended to do a longer review of this film, but I just didn't have the time. This sequel is superior to the original in almost all ways. The fantasy elements are as fascinating and magical as the ones in Pan's Labyrinth. As a bonus we reap the benefits of Doug Jones being able to provide his own voice, instead of being dubbed like in the first film. There are some flaws here however. Many of the sequences involving the publics fear of Hellboy, and the fate of the Princess are painfully predictable and sadly not as original as they should be. Still, this is the most fun I've had at the movie's all year, even if it's not the best film. The musical number is worth the admission price alone.

Noah Soudrette


Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Directed by Eric Radomski, Bruce W. Timm
Starring: Kevin Conroy, Dana Delany, Stacy Keach, Abe Vigoda, Dick Miller, Efrem Zimbalist Jr.


Up until the release of Batman Begins Phantasm held a very special place in the Batman film pantheon among fans. Many of us felt that Phantasm was the best "Batman" film that had been made up until that point. It wasn't necessarily the best film (Burton's visual flair is hard to top) but it was easily the best representation the Batman character out there. Some still argue that it is the best, and I feel that it falls just a hair behind Batman Begins. The thing that holds Phantasm back is the predictability of the Phantasm's identity and the short running time. Given a touch more mystery and a another 45 minutes of screen time, I have no doubt that Batman: Mask of the Phantasm would undoubtedly still be the best Batman film around.

Noah Soudrette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to piggy-back on your capsule review here since I'm also very busy and lazy, yet still find time to watch many of the same movies. I will agree that many of my least favorite scenes in Hellboy II are the ones with the human public (I loved the scenes in the fay world). While I absolutely howled with laughter and joy at the duet in the middle of the movie, I've got to mention that opening sequence. Sure the kid was painful in his role, but the CGI wooden puppet golden army origin myth was AWSOME!!!

You know, now I feel like less of a Batman fan since I haven't owned Phantasm since I had it on video cassett (I swear it came in one of those big puffy padded plastic cases back in the day). I must go and buy it from the store when it comes in. But I must agree with you here and disagree. I never quallified the excellence of "Batman: Masque of the Phantasm". Until "Batman Begins" came out, it was the best Batman film around. I personally am not, nor will I ever be, a fan of Tim Burton and his leftover personal issues that always his work seems to be more about than me having a good time watching it. And his foray into the world of the Dark Knight holds no exemption from this feeling for me. Is it cool looking if I think of it as a Batman arthouse live action diarama....maybe...but Phantasm IMO takes that film out back and beats it like its the Joker. And thats the opinions at I see them.

Barron Ironfury Away!!!