Sunday, July 27, 2008

R.I.P.


Estelle Getty
1923 - 2008

Okay, I have a confession to make. I like the Golden Girls. I've always liked the show and, as a strait-ish man, this has always been a deep dark secret of mine. So, think of me what you will, but I was very saddened today when I heard that on the twenty second of this month, actress Estelle Getty passed away after a long battle with dementia. I will always have fond memories of the character of Sophia, who, since I was little, has always reminded me of the funny, cranky, and far too short lived aunt and grandmother I grew up around and loved very much. Anyway, even if you hate Golden Girls, she was the first major cast member of Mannequin to pass away! Oh, and don't forget Stop or My Mom Will Shoot. Classic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out of respect for the dead, I will not take potshots at you. You know I've seen all of the stuff you mention here, so I guess I'm guilty of it too. Though I must say I was more a fan of "The Golden Palace" (I know it sounds like either a Chinese resturant or a horribly named old age home) in which everyone but Dorothy opened a hotel. Don Cheadle and Cheech Marin starred in a few episodes. It is still so weird to be getting old enough that actors/actresses I grew up with are passing away.

Barron Ironfury

Noah Soudrette said...

Golden Palace wasn't bad. She also appeared regularly in the last two seasons of Empty Nest.

Anonymous said...

Straight-ish? Gaylord.
Growing up, my sister and I used to always watch the Golden Girls. I’ve probably seen every episode. I love how Blanche was a big slut, and Dorothy was basically a big lesbo. Sophia was awesome and always had the best lines while Rose was so sheltered and clueless. She always reminded me of most people from my hometown.
Sophia also reminded me of an aunt I had who used to baby-sit me when I was very young and died around the time of was in Jr. High. Through her will, we got her television, which was the first color TV we had (!). Soon after we switched from the antenna on our roof to cable, which introduced me to horror films and boobs. So I guess you could thank my aunt for my craziness.
Chuckwilson

Noah Soudrette said...

Well, I can't be 100% straight if I love the golden girls.