Friday, January 18, 2008

There Will Be Laughs

     When I sat down to write this review initially, the first sentence I wrote was about the fact that I'm not a particularly rabid P.T. Anderson fan. However, the more I think about it, I'm a least a fan of some kind. I've never seen Hard Eight or the love it/hate it Punch Drunk Love. I enjoyed Magnolia and found it to be emotionally engaging and creative; plus, who doesn't love Boogie Nights? The reason I'm telling you this is that, when I sat down to watch his new film, There Will B Blood, I had little to no expectations. Strike that; I half expected the film to be a over wrought, boring, snooty art house flick. So, I was happily surprised when I found myself sitting in an overcrowded theater, laughing my ass off at this movie. That may not be the response you were expecting, but I will explain eventually.
     There Will Be Blood is a very schizophrenic film. It cannot decide whether it wants to be a historical epic, a man's meteoric rise to fortune and his eventual fall, the tale of a father and son, a representation of the two driving forces of American culture, or a black comedy. Thankfully, this is not a bad thing. The film as all of these things and that only helps to rescue it from the boring pretension it could have been. The film is clearly inspired by Orson Welles' Citizen Kane. Like Kane, the film's protagonist makes many choices, good and bad, rises to fame and power, only to eventually fall. Anderson does not hide the Welles influence, as he shouldn't. By taking the approach Welles did, Anderson creates a character who is both likable and unlikable, one who does good and bad. Because of this, the character of Daniel Plainview has a very authentic feeling. He is one of the more well rounded, realistic characters I've seen in a film since I can remember. This alone, coupled with Daniel Day-Lewis' performance, make the film worth seeing.
Photobucket
     As to the title of this review, the thing I loved the most about this film was the copious amounts of dark humor. I was surprised more than once to find myself laughing my ass off at this movie. The film is riddled with dark humor, especially towards the end. As a matter of fact, the film is worth seeing for the final scene alone which is both hilarious and satisfying. Most of the humor comes from Daniel Day-Lewis' great performance. However, it would not be nearly as satisfying of not for the acting of Paul Dano, who plays the main rival in the film.

     So, it's safe to say that I really liked this film, and I recommend it whole heartedly. For the potential viewer, I'd like to stress two points once more. Daniel Plainview is not an evil man or a "soul-dead" man like most reviews have been saying. That is far to easy a classification. Like the rest of us, he is simply a man. Also, keep your eye open for that dark humor I loved so much. Don't forget the milkshake.



Trailer


Submitted by Noah Soudrette

1 comment:

Baron Ironfury said...

I whole heartedly agree with your review good sir.

Unlike you I went into the movie with definite preconcieved notions about PTA. He is a director who's movies (aside from "Boogie Nights") I resisted. I didn't think I would like Magnolia. Too arthouse for me perhaps, or at least thats what I thought from the trailers for it I saw. But a friend of mine loved the man's films. A friend who was not pretensious in the least, so I thought "how bad can they be" and tried "Magnolia" out. I loved it. Then I watched "Punch Drunk Love" and loved that. So I had high expectations for any movie from PTA. What I didn't expect was a movie that would seem so excellently out of line with the content of his previous works.

So I agree with all of your above assesments. I would just add that the atmosphere created by the musical score in this movie definitely needs mentioning. I haven't seen a movie in years that had a score that left me with such a deep impression. At times the music almost seemed to clash with what you saw on the screen. The discordant effect, rather than detracting from, enhanced the atmosphere of the movie. Not since "Kill Bill Vol. 1&2" have I seen a score that was such an integral part of the overall narative. So for now thats my only addition to your fine review up above this comment. And yes readers, never ever forget about the milkshakes!