Thursday, May 29, 2008

Review: What Would Jesus Buy?

I just had the fortune of watching What Would Jesus Buy? for the first time and even though it focuses on Christmas (it is currently May), and it deals with protesters (which can be a very eye rolling thing), this is definitely a movie I’m tempted to run out and buy, ironically. The film follows Reverend Billy and his Stop Shopping Choir across the country as they perform a protest/sermon/musical theater/play anywhere that consumerism rears its ugly head. Now, the first question you might ask yourself is, “Are these people really serious or is this whole thing just disingenuous?” Well, while the protest nature of these performances and appearances do have a staged quality, mainly because they’re staged, it is both Billy’s message, and his character that bring a real spontaneous passionate quality to the proceedings. These people are simply trying to get a point across, and thankfully, they’re going about it in an entertaining way.

Billy’s message obviously raises a lot of questions and issues. While these people are making money off of this whole thing in the first place, it becomes very clear that between arrests, buses, hotel rooms, food, etc. that they’re not profiting from their endeavor in a monetary way. Also, one has to wonder, how can I simply stop shopping? But, what Billy’s “church” does is preach responsible shopping. They emphasize buying American products, putting your money back into the community, saving, recycling, giving, being a considerate and responsible person and avoiding the addictive qualities of tying to buy satisfaction. Also, while the group’s religious nature may be highly dubious, there is no doubt that their message applies perfectly to those of faith. Jesus, or Mohamed, or Buddha, or whoever doesn’t want you to sell yourself into the slavery of debt in an attempt to make yourself, or your kids happy. These people out the emphasis on meaning, not monetary value. I’m sure we’ve all seen our own family members pile giant plastic Christmas gift after giant plastic Christmas gift onto their children, only for the child to be more interested in the empty box the thing came in as opposed to the one hundred dollar Barbie castle.


A whole slew of people and perspectives are offered up here between Billy’s shenanigans. We see the poor and the rich, and hear about their Christmases. You’ll hear children agreeing that they have way too many toys. You’ll see footage of shoppers beating each other into submission to reach that last X-Box 360. Many faith leaders also chime in on the significance and righteousness of Billy’s message. There are equal amounts of humor, sadness, and truth to be found here, and I find it hard to believe that anyone won’t get swept up in the spirit of this film. This is only aided by the focus on the members of Billy’s group, their trials and tribulations, the good times and the bus accidents. It must be seen to be believed.

So, I clearly liked the film, there’s no question about that after reading my gushing endorsement. I would however, like to get personal for a moment. I have worked in retail all of my life. I know first hand how much people let objects rule their lives. I have been insulted, threatened, picked on, and praised all because of little stacks of paper glued together, with writing on them, which I happen to sell. Our value as employees is based on our ability to sell. We are judged on our ability to convince people that they need something that they don’t. And, while it’s not a very happy or fulfilling job, I don’t take it for granted and I don’t forget that I’m lucky to have it. I work for a company that can only be found in America. The vast majority of the books we sell are printed right here in America as well. We do not outsource. All our employees are Americans (yes, even our phone reps, I believe). That is a rare thing indeed these days. Yet, I can’t even earn enough money, having worked forty hours a week for almost nine years, to have a place of my own. I have over ten grand in credit card debt, and own practically nothing. Would I get paid more if all our books were printed in China and all the jobs we could possibly outsource, were outsourced? Maybe, maybe not. I’m just glad that’s not the case. I like to think Billy would get behind shopping at my place of business.


So, I think every American owes it to his or her self to see this movie. Do you have to take it seriously? Not at all. It works as a great piece of entertainment on its own. Don’t let all my seriousness dissuade you from giving this a viewing. That’s just how I get when I write film reviews at five in the morning. Can I get a changelujah!?

Noah "Annubis" Soudrette


Trailer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahmen brother! While the religious aspect of this movie isn't a selling point for me, everything else about it is. I work where you work and I do what you do (essentially) and I'm very conflicted about. On the one hand I like having a job with a decent company (as decent as any business enterprise can be at least) and Its not like I don't share SOME of our customers enthusiasm for SOME of the stuff we sell. At the same time I'm like, do you really NEED to own book X so badly you have to act like an A-hole because I don't have it in the store? Are you really going to be forever happier because you bought CD Y or DVD Z? Its a struggle I feel inside as well. I like having stuff. Its nice to be like "I would like to do this thing that needs item A" and then turn and have item A and be able to enjoy it. Then again, I look at the stuff on my shelves sometimes (meager as its quantities may be) and ask myself "could I have spent that money better? Am I really going to need to watch, read, listen to, use....etc this stuff that much?". I don't know. I think it ends up being like a lot of things I've noticed in my life and culture that I'm not so happy about. All I can do is be aware of these things I've mentioned above, and factor them in when that consumer urge rears its ugly head. I'd like to think that awareness will influence and change my actions for the better. Then again I could just be foolling myself. Great review either way!

Anonymous said...

I want my $100 Barbie Castle damn it! The way I see it, we only live once, so live it up. Nobody is leaving me shit when they die, and I don't plan on leaving anything for anybody either-except for my fat Life Insurance Policy that goes to the Mrs.-she'll know how to spend it!
Chuckwilson