Thursday, May 22, 2008

Baron Ironfury's Comic Movie Holy Trinity

Editor's Note: This was actually written and submitted before the release of "Iron Man" and the start of the summer movie madness. I'm lazy, what can i say? Hope you like the custom image I made Baron, as a token of apology. - Annubis

Ok so this is my "favorite 3 comic book superhero movies" post.

So while "officially" its not summer yet, in my geeky heart it has already begun. Its the summer of superhero movies, and I'm too happy for words. Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and The Dark Knight are making me feel almost as excited as when I was a child and Summer vacation was on its way. Also you've got Hellboy II: The Golden Army and Wanted. I wish every summer could feel this packed full of geeky goodness. So all of this has led me to think long and hard about what I feel are my top three favorite comic book superhero movies, as well as a few runners up. So without further delay, here is my big fat geeky list:

The Hulk: Directed by Ang Lee and Starring Eric Bana as the Hulk. I place this one first because it has long be unappreciated. I personally felt it was a strong and well made movie, and one of the more unique comic book superhero movies I've ever seen. The use of comic book style panels as wipes to new scenes, was particularly cool. I thought the acting was excellent on all points, though I'd have to say the breakout performance was Nick Nolte as papa Banner. No one does insane and intense quite like Nolte. In the end I just found it to be a perfect balance of emotion and brawn, combined with tight narrative and cool Hulk effects.

Batman Begins: This is my second pick for top three. Its the best live action Batman movie to date. Makes a brilliantly moody and dark Batman origin come to life, complete with my all time favorite Batman villain Ra's Ah Ghul. I had long ago started to think Batman would never be able to be well represented on the silver screen. Of course its spot as best Batman movie is about to be usurped by The Dark Knight, but it will always be the first.

X2: Don't get me wrong, X-Men one was also good, but nothing will match this one. Its the first with Wolverine really being wolverine. He stabs, he slices, he slaughters in 6 different sizes. Then add to that the most ingenious prison escape/use of magnetism I think I'll ever see. Bryan Singer really out does himself with this one, and I can't help but wish the movie studio could have had the foresight and patience to let the man make X-Men 3 when he was free to do it. Oh well, it just makes X2 shine all the brighter next to that X3 turd.

Now as for my runners up. First and foremost its got to be Hellboy. Fantastic movie and would make the top 3 except my brain works oddly and I just can't place Hellboy in the same category as more classic 4-color style heroes as the others. Otherwise if its just comic books, then this may very well be the best comic book movie I've seen. Next up is Unbreakable by M. Night Shyamalan, its real and gritty and incorporates mythic archetypes, unfortunately its not based on and actual comic book superhero. Finally there is Spider-Man 2. This was in line for spot number three in my favorites, but I just liked X2 more. Its actually an excellent movie, but I really just like the X-Men better than Spider-man period.

Well thats it for my list. I still haven't seen Iron Man though I hear from my sources that its stellar. I hope you all enjoy this summer filled with comic book movies as much as I plan to. Oh yes, nothing better to spend a stimulus check on than movies and popcorn!

Baron Ironfury

2 comments:

Noah Soudrette said...

Good post man. Right now my top three are X2, Iron Man, and Sin City.

Anonymous said...

You done good on the pics. I'll try and hold up more on my end and make it easier for you by searching for pics myself to attach to reviews.